top of page

Employment Authorization Lawyers in New Orleans

What is an Employment Authorization Document?

Form I-765, also known as Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or 'work permit, allows you to demonstrate that you are eligible to work legally within the United States. With an EAD, you can work in the states even if your visa would not allow you to do so.

The EAD is designed for certain non-migrant visitors who need to work in the country, such as students, refugees or asylum seekers.

Who is eligible to receive an Employment Authorization Document?

The following individuals may obtain an EAD card:

·         A-3 non-immigrants.

·         B-1 visa holders who are personal or domestic servants of a non-immigrant employer, U.S. citizen, or foreign airline employee.

·         Dependent of certain foreign government officials; G-1, G-3, or G-4 non-immigrants; or NATO-1 through NATO-6 non-immigrants.

·         Foreign students in some F, J, and M visa categories

·         G-5 non-immigrants.

·         K-1 non-immigrant fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen or K-2 dependent, or K-3 non-immigrant spouse of a U.S. citizen or K-4 dependent.

·         Refugee or asylee in the U.S.

·         Spouses of certain E visa holders.

·         Spouse of an H-1B non-immigrant.

·         Spouse of an L-1 Intracompany Transferee.

·         T-1 through T-6 non-immigrants.

·         U-1 through U-5 visa holders.

·         V-1 through V-3 non-immigrants.

·         VAWA self-petitioners.

Not sure which category you belong to? Contact us to schedule a consultation!

Witness In Courtroom
Employment Authorization Lawyers in New Orleans

How do I apply for an Employment Authorization Document?

To apply for a work permit, you must complete Form I-765 on the USCIS website. You must follow the instructions for filing the form at the service center that will handle your application.

Form I-765 may be filed concurrently with other applications, such as your green card or adjustment of status. In this case, you may need to file Form I-765 at the address specified by the other document.

How long does it take to get an Employment Authorization Card?

As it is a complicated process, the processing time is long. Your application could take up to 12 months in some cases. At the end of the period, you will receive a decision letter.

What happens if my application is rejected?

If your EAD application is denied, you will receive a letter listing the reasons. While aliens cannot appeal the decision, it is possible to file a motion to reopen the case and present new evidence. You should accompany the motion with any affidavits or documentary evidence that may help you show that the decision was incorrect.

I want to apply for an Employment Authorization Document, do I need a lawyer?

Gathering the necessary documents for your specific immigration category and keeping up with the different stages of the application can be difficult without the help of a knowledgeable and experienced team of professionals. If your application is rejected, things could get even worse.

Employment Authorization Attorneys in New Orleans

At Golden Muños, we are ready to help you through the entire process, from gathering the necessary evidence to your interview in front of the immigration board.

bottom of page